Saturday, September 6, 2008

Breast Feeding Stuff To Get


Breast milk is the best source of milk for babies. As much as I enjoyed my pregnancy, I enjoy breastfeeding Baby J. I love seeing her face while she is feeding and looking up at me. No matter how busy the day can get, I will time-out myself and breast feed. Its our mother-daughter time.

For mothers who plan and are able to breastfeed, here's some recommendations of what to get:
  1. Nursing Wear - your husband's shirt may be an option if he lets you wear them. Buy a loose nursing wear for easy access. When you have a hungry wailing baby, you would like to be fast to get your baby to access to his milk!
  1. Nursing Cover - you may be fine feeding in front of your friends, but not all is as open-minded as you. Plus the covers make us look chic.
  2. BPA-free Breast Shells -Oh! How I thank my lovely friend for getting me these! When I feel a let down, these shells save my breastmilk and I have to quickly store them.
  3. Nursing Bras - Buy several of them. There are many cheap alternatives that are good enough and find the ones that have a hole in the middle instead of flapping the entire cup down.
  4. Nursing Pillow - Get the U-shape pillow that goes around your waist. Not only its very helpful to prop babies to the breasts, we can use for pregnancy and for babies to sit (when they are learning to)
  5. Breast gel packs or anything that you can heat up with - When our breasts are engorged, the feeling is not too great and we have to decompress them. A friend told me to put hot water to baby bottle and roll on our breasts but I find it quite messy. Find gel packs that have covers and you can out into the bras, so the breast milk can leak to the covers
  6. Breast pads - When we feed or express milk, our free breast leak and it can get quite messy. You need to buy a few boxes of breast pad packs as we have to keep changing breast pads to keep the breasts hygienic.
  7. Automatic breast pump with silicone cups - Invest in one, you will thank yourself when you have it. Careful don't drop the electric handle, else you have to replace with a new pump.
  8. Adiri bottles - Breastfed babies like the comfort of their mother's warmth and of course the breast. Transition to normal baby bottle may not be easy for some babies and Adiri mimicks mother's breasts for easier transition from breast to Adiri bottle.
  9. Cream for babies face - Choose a natural ingredient cream for baby's tender face. Our breast milk can cause rash called 'Milk Rash' and it doesn't look too pretty on our cute babies!
If I miss anything out, please let me know. I still like to breastfeed in next 4 months.